Saturday, April 14, 2012

Moisturizers for Summer and Winter

   Finding the right body and face moisturizers are very important because after cleansing, skin needs its moisture to be replenished.  The correct moisturizers can be the difference between smooth, clear skin and cracked, broken out skin.  I only use moisturizers that are intended for both bodily and facial use because they tend to lack irritating fragrance and unnecessary ingredients, and they will save you money. The following are the moisturizers that work well for me.  They are both noncomdeogenic, so they won't clog pores.  They work very well with Retin-A and other retinoids, too!

Summer Moisturizer- Cure Care Hair & Skin Conditioner

Water, cetyl alcohol, cetrimonium bromide, hydrolyzed keratin, methylchloroisothiazolinone and methylisothiazolinone, methylparaben, propylparaben, citric acid 

  As you can see the ingredients are very gentle.  I love how this makes my skin super soft and smooth without also creating oil.  Additionally, because it is so light, you don't really have to worry about overdoing it, on your face or body.  This is just the perfect facial lotion!  It's a little too light for my body, though, but I combine it with coconut oil, and I think I might have an HG (Holy Grail) body moisturizer :)
  This can be used for hair as well.  I used to use it regularly as a co-wash (washing you hair with conditioner as a part of the Curly Girl method,) but now I only use it every once in a while as a protein treatment when my curls are feeling limp.  If your hair loves protein, though, you'll definitely love this too.
  You can buy it at Sally's for only around $3 for 20 oz or $8 for a gallon!  It's worth trying.  

Winter Moisturizer- Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream

Water, Petrolatum, Glyceryl Polymethacrylate, Dicaprylyl Ether, Glycerin, Dimethicone, Glyceryl Stearate, Cetyl Alcohol, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, PEG-30 Glyceryl Stearate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Benzyl Alcohol, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Hydroxide, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Dimethiconol, Disodium EDTA, Propylene Glycol

  In winter, I get horrible, horrible dry skin.  It flakes and burns really badly, but this hydrates my face and makes it smooth again...without breaking me out!  It's a little too heavy for summer, but in the winter, it is really a lifesaver.  I also mix this with coconut oil for bodily use.  What I love is how gentle it is on my sensitive skin and how it is also able to relieve redness if you have Rosacea (or so I've heard.)  
  I used to use Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion, but even though it's thinner, it actually clogged my pores.  This is thick enough to provide tons of moisture, yet it doesn't break me out!  I guess like Starbursts, this cream is a...

  Cetaphil Cream is, I think, around $10, but I have been using this since December and have barely even skimmed the top.  A little goes a loooooooong way!  I would give both of these moisturizers an 8 or 9/10 :)

~Jaime

No comments:

Post a Comment